If you want to order the manual just send me a mail: please mention your address as well! info@spoerl-online.de


The first "stone": 22.06.2007


First the substructure of the floor slab.
And not to be misunderstood: everything done by hand

The blinding layer is quite important in Bavaria, as temperatures of -10  to -20 degrees below zero are quite "popular" each winter. 15 cm "Wandkies" + 10 cm "Quetschsand" (sorry folks I don't know the exact translation of these terms)

As a next step there was the shuttering of the base plante.
Don't forget to insert structural steel (It can be a second hand steel, too)

Here's the base plate. 20 cm thick and strongly reinforced

Floor slab has cured. Tiles are aligned and I'm ready to start working on the walls

The final height of the substructure was quickly reached.
But the all-important archis still missing...

There it is: the round arch.  Although I was quite afraid of this building step, it has proven over the course of the work to be fairly simple.
 Important: The length of the outer side must exceed the length of clinker by about 2 cm!

Et voila! just fill in the gaps to the must-have height and align it carefully.

A short hop across a couple of steps. You can see the formwork with reinforcing the false ceiling.
Just do it all similar to the base slap.

The edges of the formwork were exactly aligned with the bubble and concrete was inserted, until it ran over the border.  Then simply pull off with a long aluminum track and smoothen it.

Let the concrete harden for at least 3 days.  So lets start with the bottom of the oven!  For this I have used fire clay brick. These small bricks are cheaper to the square times than the big boards.

And again a big step further: The second form is done (again with template)
and the clay bricks are fixed to the false ceiling

Make it sure: lattice braid!

Now its time for the crucial construction phase. The internal shape of the furnace is formed of sand as a negative. Background: I do not want a tube oven, but a real dome. And whoever wants to make a joke on a bricklayer, ask him whether he can make a dome of that size out of bricks.

It took me about 3 days until the negative was done out of sand. That's worth it, because it was as smooth as a baby's back... Just take any kind of sand, don't be so freaky as I was and search for weeks for the right sand.  Ah yes, on the picture you'll see a trophy from Alfonso: A lance thermometer to 500 degrees celsius. By the way: It must not be the expensive one, just buy the complete manual to check out a much cheaper way!

The inner shell: fireclay concrete. The mass is carefully
drawn by hand on the sand and compacted with wire.

After the concrete gets hard hydraulically , I have kept it wet for 24 hours.  After 2 days of hardening I made a second layer of chamotte concrete inserting the wire net, too.

A couple of days and talks later (Thanks Geoffrey!) I inserted an insulating layer of glass wool between the inner and  outer shell covering - meanwhile I'm better informed: Please use Rockwool!  

Now it's getting bizarre: The front of the oven is supposed
to be plastered. So get some stones in row to get a clean frontwall.

After the insulation has been incorporated, I have no doubts that the concrete (not fireproof) tears.
 So always gently bring up layer by layer by hand.

The thermometer is installed in this step. I have protected it with a Pad in front of the concrete, so I can exchange it at any time. Incidentally, the thermometer is pointing in the oven-tube!

The 1st  part of the outer shell has hardened. It is followed by a second layer, which already reflects
the final form of 99%.

The last layer of  concrete with a lot of sandand made
well wet. You can get a real glimpse of the final form.

For long I've been looking forward to this day and was fightend the same way. After I've really spent a lot of concrete for the shell, there was so much weight on the sand hills in the interior that I could only hope for the statics of the dome ...

Managed to keep the inner!  The rest of the sand is removed the best way with a vacuum cleaner from the combustion chamber.

Tidy up! To make you beautiful: the front end  indeed is lacking - which adds an additional
concrete before plastering. Cover the hard polished clinker!

26.7.2007 - more than a month after the start of construction:  "Facade" almost done.  I will look  for good wood. For the curing and heating - I scheduled all in all two and a half weeks.
 In mid-August, I probably go to full load.

FIRE!!  I couldn't wait any longer. On  27.7.  I heated up very carefully!
 Maximum of 180-200 degrees for about a 3 / 4 hours.

And he smokes well. After my oven has passed the baptism of fire I can care about the outer shape.

My oven swallows 3 packs of outer plaster.  In particular, the upper arch, I plastered with devotion - the edges are pretty difficult to draw without steel coating...

Now my furnace scored his garment.   I chose the heating phase every 3-4 days, the plaster is still whitewashed and not later than mid-August, I will insert a Pizza for the first time. Update 2.8.07: furnace was the third time  heated for 1 hour at 250-300 degrees.

Blessed is the one who calls a metalworker his friend.  My fried Harry has welded the oven door. Patent pending (almost)!

Heart, what more do you want?  Cozy heat (450 ° C) and a  Pizza, like in Bella Italia, perhaps even a bit better  (... at least say so my guests).  The first way, there's pizza on 14.08.2007
 -approximately 7 weeks after breaking ground.

I tried hard to get the "real Pizza", with big sucess
Dough perfectly, perfectly seasoned coating.